Friday:
Rich was lucky enough to have Veteran's Day off from work and I took the day off. It was our first time actually driving into the city and we took on the Jersey Turnpike like champs. (I was a little confused by the whole Turnpike ticket thingy...guess it's time to get an EZPass) We actually didn't hit a lick of traffic...we were shocked! We arrived at our hotel in Jersey City 5 minutes before my conference call...thank goodness. Once that was over with we got ready for dinner and headed into the city. (Doesn't Rich look handsome!)
This was my first time visiting NYC and not actually staying in the city. It was a little weird for me (yes I'm a NYC snob), but I have to admit that Jersey City is reallly nice and our hotel was perfectly convenient for everything we had planned. Plus, look at how gorgeous it was at night. We had a great view of the city from the other side of the Hudson River.
We decided after A TON of research and advice from friends to try Lupa in Greenwich Village for dinner. http://www.luparestaurant.com/home.com. This is a Mario Batali restaurant for all of you food gurus. (I actually didn't know who he was until I researched it, but apparently he's one of the best Italian chefs from the Food Network) We were not lucky enough to score a reservation, but decided we would just show up and if we had to wait...oh well...we'd have fun at the bar. As predicted, the hostess told us there would be a 45 minute wait. We headed to the bar that was literally the size of my pinky and completely full. Feeling slightly defeated we decided to go ahead and order some drinks. There were literally 2 inches between my bah dunka dunk and the table behind us (this place is teeny tiny) We stood there for 2 minutes trying to figure out a place to stand where we weren't in someone's way. Suddenly, the couple in front of us at the bar got seated. SCORE! We graciously took their seats and started to get comfortable. I kid you not...5 minutes later...WE GOT SEATED! I could not believe our luck. Not only did we only wait 15 minutes, but we also got a "good" seat. Rich and I are not picky and will sit wherever we are seated, but don't ya hate those 2 person tables that are directly in between two other 2 person tables? It literally feels like you're seated with them and you can't have a normal conversation...might as well have sat us at a 6 top. BUT, we were seated at a 2 person romantic table against the far wall and it was PERFECTION :) The food was truly a dream. Rich got the special and I got the Ricotta Gnocchi with Sausage and Fennel. We shared the Pollo a Diavolo with the Butternut Squash salad as a side. Seriously one of the best meals I've ever had. After dinner, and maybe a few too many glasses of wine, we were Saturday:
We slept in Saturday and then headed into the city to meet up with my parents! My Mom and Dad were in town for a reunion for some of my Dad's friends from the Bronx, so we were lucky enough to be able to see them while we were visiting :) Before we met up with my parents we went on a stroll to Times Square.
I think I will always love Times Square. It is annoying how touristy it is, but something about it will always get to me. There must have been a release of a new Mario game, because there were Mario's everywhere. I love me some Mario ;)
Rich may have been a little bit jealous...
We headed to meet my parents at one of our favorite past times, Ben's Kosher Deli. After lunch, Rich said he had planned a surprise for me. He had an address right outside of Central Park we had to go to. My parents dropped us off at the address and to my surprise Rich had planned our very own When Harry Met Sally picture tour!!!! For those of you who don't know, When Harry Met Sally is my favorite movie, and Rich reminds me SO much of Harry. I couldn't believe he planned this surprise for me...I loved it! We started at the stoop where Harry and Sally are helping their best friends move into their apartment and have the argument over the wagon wheel coffee table.



The original picture...
My picture...

After the surprise tour, we rushed back to our hotel to change and then headed back into the city. We grabbed some true New York style pizza and then headed to the August Wilson Theater to see Jersey Boys!!!
The show was AMAZING! Seriously, one of the best shows I've ever seen. I think we will be singing those songs for weeks...."Oh what a night"! After the show we met up with one of my longest friends, Julie, at an Irish pub in the theater district. We had a blast catching up and as usual it felt like no time had passed since I had last seen her :)
Wow...seriously an amazing weekend...I feel so blessed to have been able to see my parents, friends, Jersey Boys, eat some amazing food and spend some quality time with Rich.
I've got a serious case of the Sunday Blues...
No comments:
Post a Comment